Inviting Agility is a story I’ve been working my way into for a long time. While I was still in school, my Dad’s experience working at the world headquarters of an iconic American corporation – and then many cardiac care events – convinced me that organizations were not working very well for people. I wanted to be part of the solution.
Two years out of a top business school, I resigned my position as a financial analyst and project manager to spend the summer as an Outward Bound instructor in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. After that, I churned through a series of business names and projects with partners. When people at parties asked me “What do you do?” I usually said, somewhat sheepishly, “I make it up as I go.”
I still say that today, but now I know that an abundance of research and practice has shown the wisdom of an adaptive, self-organizing, expeditionary approach. When pressed for details, I also now call myself a process designer, facilitator, teacher, consultant and/or coach.
A Quick History
- Studied and practiced with more than my fair share of renowned thought leaders, innovators, and social change agents.
- Contributed to corporate reorganization, leadership development, business analysis, employee engagement, community building, and strategic planning processes.
- Facilitated board retreats, large corporate and community summit events, and the successful start-up of new agile teams.
- Served as interim manager, classroom trainer, workplace mediator, conference presenter, and business agility coach.
- Worked with leaders of start-ups, small community organizations, large global companies, and everything between – on six continents.
- Authored and edited a number of guides and papers on Agile and Open Space, see Publications
Some Clients and Contributions
- Introduced the Agile movement to Open Space, facilitated Agile Alliance Board meetings, contributed to global Agile practice innovation and to five different books on Agile practice.
- Served as Scrum Master, Agile Coach and/or Trainer to numerous new Scrum software development teams, pioneered the use of Enterprise Scrum with single teams.
- Willis Towers Watson – employee involvement specialist, designed tools for increasing engagement, coached internal agile transformation, designed/facilitated events.
- City of Albuquerque, Economic Development – pioneered the use of the Enterprise Scrum framework for business agility in city government.
- USAID-Indonesia – managed summit to identify strategic issues, set priorities and strengthen working relationships for USAID programs in Indonesia, three days/200+ stakeholders.
- South African Breweries, Ltd – managed annual senior executive forum for highest-level strategic planning and urgent response to major market shifts, three days/140 leaders.
- United Airlines – co-developed new leadership and planning processes for IT infrastructure.
- MIATCO (Mid-America International Agri-Trade Council) – interim/turnaround manager for export assistance program, cleared nine-month backlog in annual program, served as product owner for digitization of entire program, trained new permanent manager.
- Nepal National Network – supported over three years, the organization of a national peaceful development summit during Nepal’s ten-year civil war, 4 days/100+ collaborators.
- Peoria School District – managed community summit on future of education in Peoria, to identify issues and set strategic priorities for new leaders, three days/300+ stakeholders.
- Chicago Community Trust – managed summit on the future of food security in Illinois, to initiate Chicago policy council and other projects statewide, three days/200+ leaders.
- Fairbanks Alaska, facilitated Becoming Peacemakers conference and training for 250 youth and adult mediators.
- University of Minnesota Medical Center – co-developed strategy for reorganizing 22 laboratories into four super-labs, to gain cross-staffing efficiencies and other cost savings.
- Facilitator Training – organized and delivered Open Space Technology training programs in the United States, Ireland, India, Nepal, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong and Canada.
- Teambuilding and Leadership Programs – New York City Outward Bound Center, Arthur Andersen professional development center, University of Chicago (Booth School of Business), Wharton School of Business, and Yale School of Management.
Schools and Teachers
- MBA University of Chicago (Finance/Healthcare Administration)
- BA Indiana University (Economics)
- Enterprise Scrum Inc. Certified Business Agility and Software Scaling Coach and Trainer
- Scrum Alliance, Certified Scrum Professional and Certified Scrum Master (CSM, CSP)
- AgilityHealth® Enterprise Business Agility Strategist (EBAS)
- ICAgile Certified Professional – Business Agility Foundations (ICP-BAF)
- Agile Alliance, Scrum Alliance, Business Agility Institute, and multiple local practice groups
- New Mexico State University (participative work redesign)
- High Performance Systems (systems thinking, mapping, modeling, simulation)
- Center for Conflict Resolution (dispute mediation)
- National Training Labs (human interaction and leadership)
- Open Space Technology, with Harrison Owen
- Zapchen Somatics, with Juile Henderson
- Meditation, with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and other Tibetan masters
- Vipassana Meditation with S.N. Goenka
- Sailing two Chicago-to-Mackinac races (333-miles)
- Colorado Outward Bound School (winter mountaineering)
- Hurricane Island Outward Bound School (sea kayaking)
- Paddling the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota
- Rebuilding a classic Chicago bungalow
- Retreating, teaching and trekking in Nepal
- White water canoeing on the Rio Grande River
- Winter mountaineering, Leadville, Colorado (solo)
- Alaskan backcountry by snowmachine (solo)
- Seven months living and working in a London meditation center
- St. Louis to New Orleans by tow boat (pushing 30 barges)
- Backcountry hiking in Mexico’s Barranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon)
- Backcountry solo hiking in Glacier NP, Isle Royale NP, and Bryce Canyon NP
- Running three marathons
After 40 years in Chicago, my wife and I have relocated to Boise, Idaho, where we enjoy any excuse to be outside.